Monday, August 3, 2015

Wish I Drew like Friedman


"I never wanted to go out and work. All I wanted to do was watch the Three Stooges and Soupy Sales."

-- Drew Friedman













In previous opuses, I've shined a spotlight on my favorite commercially successful caricaturists. Here's another one.
From his web site: 
Drew Friedman is an award-winning illustrator whose work regularly appears in dozens of major publications. He was initially renowned for his "stippling" style of caricature, employing thousands of pen-marks to achieve photographic-like appearance. in recent years, Friedman has switched to painting. His painstaking attention to detail and parodies of Hollywood icons is widely admired.
Welcome to the August edition of Not Your Usual Caricature Artist, from Caricatures by Joel.
Friedman's work has appeared in Entertainment Weekly, Newsweek, Time, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker, The New Republic, The New York Observer, Esquire, RAW, Rolling Stone, and MAD Magazine. He has also produced several books highlighting his unusually compelling approach. 


Friedman was recognized for his work with the National Cartoonist Society Newspaper Illustration Award for 2000, and was nominated again in 2002 and 2007. That organization also awarded Friedman their Magazine Illustration Award for 2000. His work has been included in nine volumes of the American Illustration annual.


There are very few -- you can count them on the fingers of one hand -- caricaturists whose style is one-of-a-kind unique. Drew Friedman, for me, is one of them.



Dare I present some of my own work in a space devoted to one of the iconic greats of this industry?
I dare. (What the hell, it's my space...)
Here are some commissioned personalities I've put to paper through the years:
Pete Rose (on the right): 
The late McDonald's head honcho, Ray Kroc: 
 Simon Cowell:

TV's Platinum Weddings' Tiffany Nieves-Cook:
 Harry Potter:
 See you again the first Tuesday of next month for another quick sketch from Not Your Usual Caricature Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment