Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Giving Thanks this Month


Thanksgiving may be my favorite holiday. (Then again, any celebration involving the eating of mass quantities of food probably qualifies.)
Thanksgiving, though, certainly holds a special place in the collective consciousness of our country.
On the serious, historical side, it denotes the pilgrims' flight from Europe for a land where they could exercise freedom of religious expression.
On the lighter but no less significant side, it connotes the warmth and love associated with gatherings of family and friends.
Welcome to the November edition of Not Your Usual Caricature Artist from Caricatures by Joel.
(Used to be, for some reason it was also the one Thursday out of the season when the NFL Detroit Lions -- alone -- would be pitted against another team. Now it's also the Cowboys that play and maybe others. And Thursday, of course, is now part of the schedule throughout the entire season. So much for "tradition." But I digress...) 
Through the years, Thanksgiving and all its fun and foibles has been comedic grist for chroniclers from publishers The New Yorker to Mad Magazine, from animators Walt Disney to Warner Brothers.

So, For my purposes here, I'll simply acknowledge the holiday with fun tributes by those iconic cartoon sources.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I don't have any Thanksgiving art of my own to contribute...but I'll "fudge" by including some Halloween work I did this past month -- at a Halloween festival for kids and at a wedding(!) held on Halloween night:
 
 
 

 
 
 

 







I do give "thanks" for all the opportunities I have to ply my craft at festivals, weddings, corporate events, birthdays, bar/bat mitzvahs and more.

So, until the first Tuesday of next month with another helping of Not Your Usual Caricature Artist, have yourself a happy and fun-filled Thanksgiving.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment